Did you attend our “Drinking in Berlin’s History” walking tour? If so, you might be interested in these learning resources for a deep dive into the taverns, inns, saloons & beer industry of early Berlin, Ontario, now Kitchener. Todd Bowman, researcher and guide for the Drinking in Berlin’s History walking tour, used some of these resources when developing the walk.
For a Canada-wide context:
- Cheers! A History of Beer in Canada. Nicholas Pashley (2009).
For Ontario-specific history and reading
- Ontario Beer: a heady history of brewing from the Great Lakes to the Hudson Bay. Alan McLeod & Jordan St. John (2014) Available at the Kitchener Public Library
- Try to Control Yourself: The Regulation of Public Drinking in Post-Prohibition Ontario, 1927-44. Dan Malleck (2009).
Local Waterloo Region drinking history
- The Breweries of Berlin – Berlin Vernacular Blog
- “Set Up Another Round: Three Kitchener Hotels” by rych mills, in Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume #90 (2002). Available at Kitchener Public Library.
Do you know about other Drinking history resources or connections we should know about?
We love to hear from people that have been on our walks If you have resources about beer and alcohol in Waterloo Region, please contact us!