Berlin's Great War Stories
Availability: Saturday April 9 @ 3:00pm
Or private group request
Price: $25/person (+ booking fee $1.50)
Duration: 75 minutes
Meeting Location: The Museum, 10 King Street West, Downtown Kitchener
Distance Covered: 1.8 km
Led by: Todd Bowman
Accessibility: Route follows city sidewalks and paved surfaces on main and neighbourhood streets. Accessible for scooters & wheelchairs. Route is adapted around construction.
The Great War ended over 100 years ago in 1918, and was an event that significantly impacted the lives of people living in Berlin, Ontario, which would change it’s city name to Kitchener in the middle of it all.
Learn about World War One through a wide range of stories and people: those who fought bravely and those who bravely refused to fight; some who volunteered and others forced to enlist; others who tried to enlist but were refused; as well as the many women who contributed on the ‘home front.’ Walk through Berlin’s tumultuous four years of war and engage with some lesser-known people and stories from Kitchener’s past.
Great War Stories Walking Tour Details
- Tickets must be purchased in advance
- Maximum 20 people per walk
- This walk begins in front of THEMUSEUM. It ends nearby, at Speakers’ Corner at King and Benton.
- We walk rain or shine or snow so dress for the weather! If it looks like rain, bring an umbrella. If it’s cold, wear a few extra layers.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes (i.e. no flip flops!)
- Arrive 5 minutes in advance to check in. If you arrive exactly when the walk starts, you’re already late!
- Our walking tours are face mask friendly – even though our walking tours are entirely outdoors, some guests may feel most comfortable wearing a mask – and we respect that!
Our small group really enjoyed walking with our guide, Todd, and listening to his informative description of local landmarks and the people stories from WWI that are associated with them. He talked about women, men, influential and ordinary folk, giving us a comprehensive look at the war from all genders, classes and beliefs. I would highly recommend this walk.
Want to customize your Stroll with us?
We’d be happy to work with you to create the best experience possible.