Pandemic! Kitchener in ‘The Grip’ of the 1918 Spanish Flu
Availability: Saturday April 30 @ 3:00 pm
Or private group request
Price: $30/person (+ booking fee $1.50)
Duration: 90 minutes
Meeting Location: Intersection of Ahrens St. West & Breithaupt St., Midtown, Kitchener
Led by: Todd Bowman
Accessibility: Route follows paved surfaces on main and neighbourhood streets, crossing at marked intersections. Accessible for scooters & wheelchairs.
Stroll through Kitchener’s pandemic experience over 100 years ago: a deadly pandemic, citizens gripped with fear, mass closures, and a mounting human toll!
Visit locations of those who suffered and died during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. Learn about local leaders and medical workers who fought the illness and helped hundreds of patients.
This walk mixes heartbreak and heroism, while exploring a diverse range of experiences during the city’s worst public health crisis.
Pandemic! Walking Tour Details
- Tickets must be purchased in advance
- Maximum 20 people per walk
- Arrive 5 minutes in advance to check in. If you arrive exactly when the walk starts, you’re already late!
- This walk begins at the intersection of Ahrens Street West & Breithaupt Street – it really is an intersection! 2 hr street parking on Ahrens or Breithaupt & accessible from the Spurline Trail (bike lock up available)
- We walk rain or shine or snow so dress for the weather! If it looks like rain, bring an umbrella. If it’s cold, wear a few extra layers.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes (i.e. no flip flops!)
- Our walking tours are face mask friendly – even though our walking tours are entirely outdoors, some guests may feel most comfortable wearing a mask – and we respect that!
- There is no bathroom stop on this route.
A fabulous way to learn about my neighbourhood, my community, and my city. The ‘pandemic walking tour’ connected me to areas that I used to pass every day without thought. The tour has enriched my daily experience to reflect on the history connected to the families, buildings, and businesses of the past that have shaped our future. Thank you!
Want to customize your Stroll with us?
We’d be happy to work with you to create the best experience possible.