Mount Hope Cemetery Walking Tour
Back in Spring/Summer 2023!
Or By Private group requests
Price: $30/person (+ booking fee $1.80)
Duration: 90 minutes
Meeting Location: the Zuber Angel at the Mount Hope Cemetery entrance, directly across from 128 Moore Avenue
Distance Covered: 1.5 km, approximately
The walk ends a very short distance from the beginning
Led by: Wayne Miedema
Accessibility: Route follows paved, even cemetery paths. Uneven ground when walking off path between memorial stones. Quite accessible for scooters & wheelchairs.
The Mount Hope Cemetery walking tour reveals a community of neighbours, business owners, politicians, rebels and ordinary people whose stories left their mark on Kitchener.
Kitchener’s history, dating back just over 150 years, is revealed by the names and stories found in the cemetery. This Mount Hope Cemetery walking tour includes stories from the time when Kitchener was called Berlin – including the fascinating story of the name change. The stones and memorials are the gateway to the stories of local famous families, freedom seekers and a forgotten World War 1 soldier.
Through the community of people in this cemetery, we explore the story of Berlin celebrating “Power to the People” in 1910, and the names that made this ‘tiny Berlin’ known as an industrial powerhouse, famous for German quality products such as leather, buttons, tires, footwear, and furniture.
Mount Hope Cemetery Walking Tour Details
- Tickets must be purchased in advance
- This walk is available by private group request in Fall 2022
- Maximum 20 people per walk
- We walk rain or shine or snow so dress for the weather! If it looks like rain, bring an umbrella. If it’s cold, wear a few extra layers.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes (i.e. no flip flops!)
- Arrive 5-10 minutes in advance to check in. If you arrive exactly when the walk starts, you’re already late!
- Our walking tours are face mask friendly – even though our walking tours are entirely outdoors, some guests may feel most comfortable wearing a mask – and we respect that!
Want to customize your Stroll with us?
We’d be happy to work with you to create the best experience possible.