Kitchener's Music History Walking Tour
Kitchener seems like an unlikely city for a buzzin’ rock & blues music scene, but that’s what happened when music lover Glenn Smith, went from concert-hoppin’-teen to concert host and promoter.
This music history walking tour of Downtown Kitchener visits the venues where rock & blues music legends graced the stages and revives the events that happened backstage and on the streets. Hear about famous bands – The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy- and musicians on their way up like Colin James and Robert Cray who came to Kitchener because Smith called them and asked them to come play. Learn about the Mississippi Blues man Mel Brown who made Kitchener his home – again, because Smith invited him to be the house band at his music venue, Pop the Gator.
This walking tour begins with a brief visit to the REVERBERATIONS exhibit inside THEMUSEUM. We cap it off with some surprise goodies to keep the vibe going including a promo code for 10% off your UNZIPPED admission at THEMUSEUM and 10% weekend brunch at The Walper Hotel Social! Sweet deal!
‘Kitchener Got the Blues’ Stroll with Glenn Smith
NOTE: Proof of Vaccination & ID are required for entrance to REVERBERATIONS portion of the walking tour at THE MUSEUM
Face masks are required inside THEMUSEUM but are not required outside. Although, it might keep your face warmer! With narrow sidewalks and lots of visitors in town, it’s not always possible to keep a 2 m distance.
Kitchener Music Walking Tour Details
Meet: THEMUSEUM, 10 King Street West, Downtown Kitchener
End: The walk starts and ends at THEMUSEUM
Duration: 60 minutes
Distance Covered: 1 km
Availability: ON PAUSE due to temporary closure of THEMUSEUM (until January 26) during Ontario’s current public health restrictions.
Accessibility: Route follows paved city streets. Crossings at signalized intersections. Accessible for scooters & wheelchairs.
IMPORTANT: Arrive at least 10 minutes in advance for the Proof of Vaccination check-in. If you arrive exactly when the walk starts, you’re already late! We have a timed entry for the walking tour group at 9:45am sharp. If you are late, you will likely miss the first 15 minutes of the tour but can join in when as we exit THEMUSEUM at 10:00am for the outdoor portion.
Good to know:
- Tickets must be purchased in advance
- Maximum 20 people per walk so that we can maintain physical distance
- The walk begins and ends at THEMUSEUM.
- Proof of Vaccination & ID are required for entrance to REVERBERATIONS portion of the walking tour at THE MUSEUM
- Face masks are required inside THEMUSEUM but are not required outside. Although, it might keep your face warmer! With narrow sidewalks and lots of visitors in town, it’s not always possible to keep a 2 m distance.
- We walk rain or shine or snow! Come well dressed to be outside for at least 45 minutes in cold temperatures.
- If Stroll Walking Tours postpones the walk due to bad weather, you will receive a credit to rebook your walk for a future date or another walk of your choice
A wonderful experience. A great way to connect with friends while learning fascinating history. Just the right amount of walking. The guide was knowledgeable, friendly, and very open to conversation/digression, but still kept on track. We would definitely do this again.
Want to customize your Stroll with us?
We’d be happy to work with you to create the best experience possible.